A LinkedIn experiment for the next 30 days
Des Walsh has setup an experiment on Linkedin called the 30 day linking blitz, a collaborative project, in which each participant commits to take action on his/her LinkedIn presence and activity, over a 30 day period for 20 minutes a day. The purpose is to make more effective use of our LinkedIn memberships and drive positive networking both personally and professionally with the following aims:
- Amplify our social presence
- Enhance our network reach and level of influence
- Improve our network engagement
- Be more readily findable, for the products and/or services we offer
I’ve been using LinkedIn since pretty early on, my user ID suggests I was member no. 3,739,978 I’ve always been active on LinkedIn and have a open networking approach. I firmly believe the broader your network the more useful it is, as such I currently have over 6,800 connections.
I’m looking forward to the next 30 days to see how much difference it makes, the following is daily commitment being made by each participant:
- Post 3 updates – these can just be shares of another person’s updates, or links to LinkedIn Today items, I will aim to add commentary to each post to add my opinion
- 1 recommendation for a LinkedIn connection, I haven’t done loads of recommendations since using LinkedIn so i’m looking forward to giving these out to long overdue colleagues, partners and suppliers that i’ve enjoyed working with over the course of my career
- 3 endorsements for LinkedIn connections, although i’ve read quite a bit of commentary on the fickle nature of endorsements I actually think they add some good insight into your network and skills
- 1 response on LinkedIn Answers, I haven’t done much with answers so will check this out
- 1 question on LinkedIn Answers and reply to those answering
- Invite 1 new connection, I usually send out 50+ a week so this won’t be anything new
- Post 1 discussion topic on a Group, I use a few groups regularly not always commenting but will pick up my activity here.
There are also some general activities everyone is commiting to for the 30 days:
- Update professional profile for greater findability (search optimization) and to make a more effective impression on viewers, I’m already there I think but any advice is welcome and i’m hoping to learn a few things from the other participants.
- Set up or expand LinkedIn Company Page, I already manage our company page.
- Review LinkedIn Groups memberships and participation effectiveness
- Consider establishing a group you can own (preferably not one of those groups with only one or two members!)